justinguitar - sometimes I love the Internet

Disclaimer: this post has nothing to do with software development.

As I write this from my new iPhone 3g (sorry, I had to gloat) I can't help but realize that 99% of the content on the Internet is complete garbage. Of course that is completely subjective (and does not apply to this blog) but it is rare that I find something online that i feel the need to shout (read "blog") about.

I've owned a guitar for as long as I can remember and been unable to play it for even longer...which is why I am so excited about http://www.justinguitar.com. I am in no way associated with the site nor do I have anything to gain by posting about it. This being said, this site is amazing!! Justin provides lessons in written and YouTube form. The real beauty of the site is most definitely his gift for teaching. Lessons are provided in both guitar theory and (user requested) songs. Video lessons are extremely clear with closeups of both the chord and strumming patterns. Lessons are perfectly detailed yet extremely accessible - even for a novice such as myself.

There is a fine balance between teaching songs and teaching how to play guitar - while Justin pushes students to go and figure out chords and strumming patterns by themselves, he definitely appears appreciative of the motivational influence of being able to play a song in the first place - something which his audience appears grateful for (you only have to look as far as the pages and pages (and pages and pages) of song lesson requests on his forum to see what i mean.

An active community is already present in his forums, providing further help to those who seek knowledge. Donations are accepted, but never pushed, making the site available to those who cannot afford lessons and allowing others to say a much deserved 'thank you'.

This is an invaluable site for anyone interested in picking up a guitar and one which i hope continues to grow and grow. Spread the word!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mirth

Excel - Adding an existing Pivot table to the data model

Getting Started with Mirth (Part 1)