The service could not bind instance 1

In work this morning I attempted to fire up Visual Studio with an ASP.NET application I hadn’t used in a while only to receive an error message stating that the project could not be mapped to an IIS application. Looking deeper I found that the application did indeed exist, but IIS was not behaving nicely – a big STOP sign replacing my normally very pleasant default web site icon. The Event Viewer should the following error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: W3SVC
Event
Category: None
Event
ID:
115
Date:
4/15/2008
Time:
10:13:31
AM
User:
N/A
Computer: MYPC
Description:
The
service could not bind instance 1. The data is the error code.
For
additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft
Online Support site located at:
http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

For more information,
see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 40 27 00
00
@'..

A little trial and error and I found the issue and simple solution. Port 80, used by IIS was also being used by Apache which I had recently installed on my local box. Shutting down Apache allowed IIS to restart correctly, and from there I could (if I so chose) change the default port on Apache thereby permanently fixing this issue. Simple!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mirth

Excel - Adding an existing Pivot table to the data model

Getting Started with Mirth (Part 1)