Visual SourceSafe Internet was not enabled on this computer because Internet Information Services (IIS) is not installed
I recently received the following error message when attempting to install Visual Sourcesafe 2005 Internet Access on a Windows Server 2003 box with an existing IIS installation. A little research led to the following information:
"The code is trying to access the IIS website "IIS://localhost/W3SVC/1" using ADSI (Active Directory Service Interfaces) and obtain the COM interface IADsContainer. When it fails, the code displays the error message you mentioned." (link)
Following the same poster's advice, I checked the web site ID and lo-and-behold it was not set to 1. From here the fix was pretty simple.
1. Backup your configuration in IIS.
2. Backup the following file (just to be safe...): C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\metabase.xml
3. Stop the IIS service
4. Open the following file in the editor of your choice: C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\metabase.xml
5. Locate the relevant website (Default Website in my case), for example IIS://localhost/Default Website/3. Replace all instances of the string "IIS://localhost/Default Website/3" with "IIS://localhost/Default Website/1"
6. Save the file and start the IIS service.