.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3082 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A2E1132) **Updated**
I’m working on a WPF project right now and Visual Studio has been crashing more often than I would like. The event viewer shows a .NET Runtime Error with the following message:
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3082 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A2E1132)
I am running Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and it has been pretty solid for the last couple of months – up until last week. The only new piece of software I’ve installed is Gallio (220.127.116.117) and the timeframes for the installation and the occurrence of this issue are suspiciously close. I searched the mb-unit issue log on google code (http://code.google.com/p/mb-unit/issues/list) and found a similar closed issue (albeit it was logged under ResharperRunner which I am not using).
The issue was closed as not reproducible but the body of the bug report was very similar to my own experience:
What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Open a WPF Window (XAML file) in Designer and/or XAML mode
2. VS crashes without a message. In Application eventlog you find the
error: .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053 - Fatal Execution Engine Error
3. If you uninstall Gallio, there is no problem anymore.
Fortunately, my issue was easily reproducible – when switching from code to design views for a specific WPF page, my system would consistently crash – things are rarely this straightforward! The solution in my case was to uninstall Gallio. I’m currently working with MSUnit (post to follow) and do not need to have this software installed – even though I reaaaallly like it…It is critical that Visual Studio runs without crashing every time I open up the design view so Gallio must be sacrificed for now.
For those who haven't yet read the comments on this one, Jeff Brown (of Gallio fame) has provided some feedback. It appears to be a MSFT related issue and not limited to Gallio. I won't have a chance to play with this until next week, but if Jeff is right (and he most likely is) I'll get to play with Gallio some more. I will of course add another update once I know more. Here's Jeff's comment:
IIRC, someone else reported the same issue involving interactions with the XAML editor. Apparently this also happens with other add-ins besides Gallio.
It was resolved by: