Windows 7 (Build 7100) – Program Icons Disappeared

I recently ran into an odd bug with Windows 7. I am running build 7100 and don’t yet know if this pertains to the recent RTM release.

After running the Beta (which was extremely stable) for a few months, I woke up one morning to find that my Program icons had disappeared. Clicking on Start->All Programs resulted in the following:

image

As you’ll notice from all the icons in the background – I haven’t been keeping my desktop (or PC in general) too tidy. Knowing that I was running in a beta led to the thinking that i’ll reimage it soon, so can trash it now. As it happens, this general untidiness led to the disappearing icons.

The following link suggested that Windows 7 (at least the 7100 build) could only handle approximately 70 shortcuts in the Program menu. Apparently I had recently installed a few more applications that sent me over the top.

The solution was to delete a few items from my programs directory. This was achieved by:

1. Clicking Start

2. Right Clicking on All Programs

3. Left-clicking Open to view the shortcuts installed only for my username (and clearing the clutter) and Left-clicking Open All Users to do the same for shortcuts installed for all users on the box.

Simple, right?

Comments

Steven said…
I get that problem here and there, but it just resolves itself if I just wait or just click on it later.
Jason said…
Steve,if I were you I'd go with the consistent solution. Your call though...
Steven said…
well, i don't have 70+ shortcuts/icons on my windows 7 build (7100). so the cause/solution wouldn't even really apply to me. this happened to me several months ago, which during time there have been several updates which may have fixed it.

but my windows 7 OS has been working just fine for the past few months.
Jason said…
Good to hear your problem was fixed. I'm willing to bet even the 70+ issue was fixed in the RTM version, but I haven't had time to play with it just yet.

Popular posts from this blog

Mirth

Excel - Adding an existing Pivot table to the data model

Visual Studio 2012–Debug in Chrome Incognito Mode